Friday, May 13, 2011

Hope to the Oppressed


The CNN Freedom Project: 'Ending Modern Day Slavery' helps to document the injustice facing millions worldwide and provide hope for an end.

For example, there is Emmanuel Jal, a former child soldier in Sudan, who has defied the odds to become a musician. His We Want Peace campaign raises awareness of justice, equality and conflict prevention.

Emmanuel explains why he joined CNN's Freedom Project:

"I grew up in the south of Sudan when rebels were fighting for independence from the rest of Sudan.

The memories of the past are still strong in my mind. When I was five I did not understand what rape was but I saw my aunt being raped in front of me,...

It was not long before government soldiers destroyed my village. We kept running from one place to another and it was during one of these attacks that I lost my mother....

At eight I was recruited as a child soldier. I was susceptible because I wanted to take revenge for my family. The training wasn't easy, but I promised myself I would find the people who destroyed my home, get an AK-47 and kill as many enemies as possible....

The CNN Freedom Project has raised my hopes because it will open the eyes of millions and create a positive energy. People will want to be a part of this campaign to end modern slavery.

It is going to give hope to the oppressed...

A referendum took place on January 9 where the people of Southern Sudan were given the option to vote for a split from the north and become their own nation. Things have gone relatively smoothly for now and people have voted for separation...."

The Freedom Project encourages one to think about how freedom and justice can be taken easily for granted.